Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No Fond Memories

Okay, so some of you may have noticed that the menu on the right hand column has stayed the same since April. I would like to let you know why it's not been changed.

The tasty dish listed for Saturday is "Basil Pesto with Chicken and Peas." I actually did stick with the plan and made it. And that was a big accomplishment because the last time I made it (April 2007), I literally thought I was having a heart attack.

As it turned out, I was not having a heart attack. It was just a gallbladder "flare-up" ... thanks to the three cheese pasta and the estrogen coursing through my body brought on by carrying a large infant in utero ... back in April 2007.

So, skipping ahead (April 2008), there's no action on the gallbladder front, even after eating the pesto. So, I decide to really test my gallbladder and make a cheese ravioli dish with browned butter and asiago cheese. (It's actually embarrassing when I say it out loud ... I mean, it really is a miracle that I haven't had that heart attack yet growing up the deep-fried, Krispy Kreme South and with my penchant for high-fat pasta dishes.)

So, I make the ravioli and chow down ... although really not that much because I was on my way to get Jake's hair cut. But it was clearly enough to make me wish Italy and its pasta would disappear forever. I had another nasty flare-up, and a few weeks later, my gallbladder was removed.

Anyway, the pesto pasta was a catalyst to a very busy time of life for our family ... surgery for me, visit from Grandma and Grandpa to take care of boys and me, buying a new house, remodeling house, 10-day trip to Utah, starting new preschool, and lots of other fun projects that have prevented me from changing the menu.

Don't worry ... we are still cooking and eating. I have since made the basil pesto, but anything with browned butter is off the menu.

4 comments:

Kendy said...

All things in moderation I guess. My nana ate sweets her hole life and at the age of 93 she got diabeties (she is 96 now). go figure. Sometimes when we really want it we get hit hard with it in the end. Any ways good to know we will be put back with our perfect bodies in the end and you'll have your gull bladder back ; )

Emily said...

From what I have heard, gall bladders are nothing but trouble. Yum, your list of meals sound great and exotic. Do you like cooking? I will have to get your recipes. I don't really cook, but I aim to start doing it more.

Wendy said...

You are so adorable Julie! And I am glad that you are still alive and kicking. You have kept me sane and have been that listening ear and shoulder to cry on.

Jen and Alec said...

I loved that post. I'm glad you got rid of that silly organ. Um, can you make me a recipe book for Christmas next year?